Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

Reading The Moviegoer by Walker Percy, I enjoyed the breezy southern style Percy used throughout. The sense of place in the novel was amazing. Percy has (had? I don't know if he's dead or not) a great ability for description that really encompasses all the senses in a way that is almost hard to define.

This 1962 National Book Award Winner seems to have fallen into the theme of the award winning novel about ennui. While I have already read several award winners who depict young men battling with their own sense of ennui, their disconnect from their time and place, I felt like Percy achieves his own place in history with a particular flair. His character, the moviegoer of the title, Binx weaves in and out of the New Orleans with loads of style.

Overall it's a book I enjoyed, a quick read that was a good time, though, like with The Fixer I can't think of much more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment